Welcome to our first monthly abstract art theme!

Please post your finished artwork in this discussion thread. These should be new pieces completed this month.

You have until 30 August to submit here and then I will close the thread. Please remember to use the picture icon above text box to add images and not the attachment below. (Click here for instructions on how to add an image to your post.)

This month's theme is:

FOUND ABSTRACTS

Look at something in real life, and select which parts of it to draw, paint, sculpt, etc.

Add colors, designs, patterns, and any other embellishments you can think of.

See the 1st post below for examples!

(Interpret the theme any way you wish--there are no other requirements!)

Artwork and comments welcome from everyone!

Have fun!

Views: 618

Replies to This Discussion

Here are two examples of "Found Abstracts":

The drawing on the left was inspired by looking at the palm of my left hand, while drawing with my right hand.

I drew the lines of my palm in pencil, and then embellished the lines by adding different types of patterns.  Then I drew over the pencil marks with a black pen.

You can draw a Found Abstract by looking at anything around you - it can be something totally ordinary, even something that you see every day!

Here is another example below, by Grace Sanford, inspired by the design on her computer tower:Now let's see what you come up with... above all, HAVE FUN!! :)

This is a great idea...already has me thinking!!!!
Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!  I was away for a few days so I haven't had time to start one yet.  I don't mind if you are the first to post your work, Grace - I think others might find it inspiring as well!  :)

These are simply stunning, Grace! Thanks so much for uploading them, they're really inspiring me to start on mine. 

It is really nice to see your artwork next to the objects that inspired them.  What size are these?

It's neat to hear about the sizes and materials you used.  I can't wait to start mine - been busy lately but with this kind of theme, I think it will be possible to do small, fun drawings that only take 10-15 minutes each.  Just looking around my desk I am already getting ideas.
This is my aquarium. I used acrilic paints and felt tips. The circles which look white are actually silver which is how the water looks with the light over it.Unfortunately the image uploaded doesn´t show the detail very well and I´m not sure if this is really abstract. I´m a bit lost on this subject....can anyone help me out here please ?

Dehra, your aquarium painting looks great!! I like all the detail and the combination of representational images (the fish and coral) with the abstract circles and lines. This is a visually stimulating painting.

I think this can be considered abstract.  It's not totally abstract since there are some representational images, but it falls somewhere in the abstract spectrum.

To quote a section of the Wikipedia page on Abstract art:

Abstraction indicates a departure from reality in depiction of imagery in art. This departure from accurate representation can be only slight, or it can be partial, or it can be complete. Abstraction exists along a continuum. Even art that aims for verisimilitude of the highest degree can be said to be abstract, at least theoretically, since perfect representation is likely to be exceedingly elusive. Artwork which takes liberties, altering for instance color and form in ways that are conspicuous, can be said to be partially abstract. Total abstraction bears no trace of any reference to anything recognizable.

The part that I put in bold applies to your aquarium painting - it's partially abstract.

Thank you for uploading your piece!

Thank you for your help. I tend to paint using a lot of detail and never know when to stop. I would love to be able to paint something very plain but don´t seem to be able to stop adding patterns and dots and lines etc.
Thaneeya McArdle said:

Dehra, your aquarium painting looks great!! I like all the detail and the combination of representational images (the fish and coral) with the abstract circles and lines. This is a visually stimulating painting.

I think this can be considered abstract.  It's not totally abstract since there are some representational images, but it falls somewhere in the abstract spectrum.

To quote a section of the Wikipedia page on Abstract art:

Abstraction indicates a departure from reality in depiction of imagery in art. This departure from accurate representation can be only slight, or it can be partial, or it can be complete. Abstraction exists along a continuum. Even art that aims for verisimilitude of the highest degree can be said to be abstract, at least theoretically, since perfect representation is likely to be exceedingly elusive. Artwork which takes liberties, altering for instance color and form in ways that are conspicuous, can be said to be partially abstract. Total abstraction bears no trace of any reference to anything recognizable.

The part that I put in bold applies to your aquarium painting - it's partially abstract.

Thank you for uploading your piece!

Dehra, you sound just like me!  I also have a hard time knowing when to stop when I create abstract art.  Even when I try to create something more minimalist, I wrestle with my desire to add detail.

Sometimes people will tell me that a painting looks finished and I'll think "But it's only half done! (Or only 1/4 done, etc!)"

As much as I am addicted to detail, I would also like to 'train' myself to get more comfortable doing less detailed abstract work... just for variety!

Dehra McDonald said:

Thank you for your help. I tend to paint using a lot of detail and never know when to stop. I would love to be able to paint something very plain but don´t seem to be able to stop adding patterns and dots and lines etc.
Debra, I love your aquarium!  I agree with Thaneeya in that it is very visually stimulating.  It seems very alive.  I can almost hear the bubbles!  Great job.  And don't change a thing.  I love all the detail.  I have the opposite problem.  I'm always looking at my pieces thinking, hmm, it needs something...but I don't know what.

Thank you for your comment! It seems that we are never completely happy with our pictures. I guess that is how we try to go on improving all the time.(It´s Dehra with "H" by the way. Unusual eh?)

Starr White said:

Debra, I love your aquarium!  I agree with Thaneeya in that it is very visually stimulating.  It seems very alive.  I can almost hear the bubbles!  Great job.  And don't change a thing.  I love all the detail.  I have the opposite problem.  I'm always looking at my pieces thinking, hmm, it needs something...but I don't know what.

Here's my first found abstract: an ink and colored pencil sketch inspired by my remote.

This is more of a doodle/sketch than an actual finished drawing.  It's quite small, just under 2" x 2" (which makes it almost a 'twinchie'). I've been busy these past few weeks so haven't had time to do a big one, so a small sketch was just right. Working on small art is a great way to get the creative juices flowing.

I started by drawing the basic outline of the remote with the main shapes, and then embellished it from there.  For coloring, I decided to try a simple palette of the 3 primary colors, in addition to the black of the ink and the white of the paper.

I've created another found abstract which I still need to take pics of, so I'll do that soon and post it here.

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service