If your art comes from someplace deep inside your soul what is the story your soul is trying to tell through your art? What is your story?

Views: 158

Replies to This Discussion

My Abstract Drawings developed inside me as I'm experience more and more physical pain. It is something similar than a obsession, I must get the stuff inside me out on paper, my attempts are still attempts and not pieces of art, but it is for sure abstract forms somewhere inside me!

Paulette, Your story needs to be told through words or art. We all need to tell our stories. Thank you.

Paulette S. Ingersoll said:

Bill,

I have to be honest I started painting to relive stress after the sexual assault of my youngest daughter.   I poured all of my hurt, anger, frustration and feelings of helplessness out on my canvas.  She and I started working on art together to cope with the feelings we did not always know how to put in to words.  So, I guess the short answer is that my work started out full of pain and anger and has moved toward hopeful and healing.  I hope this is not to much personal information; but I think all of us have a unique story full of love, hate, anger and hopefulness.

I love the great questions you ask, they make me look back at the work I have done, how i started and where I am now. 

Paulette, I think it is a brave and wonderful that you share your story. I'm so sorry to hear of such a terrible event for both you and your daughter. I am also happy that you discovered how healing art can be,and that you have shown your daughter a way to positively deal with emotions, you must be an awesome Mom. I tip my hat to you! 

Sincerely, Maureen

Paulette S. Ingersoll said:

Bill,

I have to be honest I started painting to relive stress after the sexual assault of my youngest daughter.   I poured all of my hurt, anger, frustration and feelings of helplessness out on my canvas.  She and I started working on art together to cope with the feelings we did not always know how to put in to words.  So, I guess the short answer is that my work started out full of pain and anger and has moved toward hopeful and healing.  I hope this is not to much personal information; but I think all of us have a unique story full of love, hate, anger and hopefulness.

I love the great questions you ask, they make me look back at the work I have done, how i started and where I am now. 

Bill , This is a fantastic question! I know that my art must come from my soul because I've wanted to be an artist for as long as I can remember. It's been a long time since my youth and the desire is still there. I feel like I'm still searching artistically, so I haven't yet figured out what it is my soul is trying to tell me.

Wow, another great question.  My abstracts began from frustration caused from being laid off and not being able to find work.  But truth be known I had wanted to be an artist sense I was just a youngster. My older brother was an artist, a very good one, and I was told that "you are not good enough to waste paper and canvas's on" I was told this by family and art teachers. I didn't make my first attempt at painting until some time in the 80's. I was told by other artist that I was really good and I needed to keep going. Life got in the way...and other stuff started coming up from my youth...lots of pain, lots of hurt, lots of blah blah blah. I became a therapist, and one of the things I had my clients do was finger paint....it was very theraputic for them.  It wasn't until this last year that I started "finger painting" myself that I found the release, the fun and the the magic again.  I love painting, I love art and believe that creativness comes from the Soul. I feel my Soul is trying to tell me that life is wonderful energy and that it is magic, and being able to express it is my gift from the Universe.

I did the painting over the last few days after I had a very bad experience. I got very hurt and dissapointed by someone and instead of lashing out or let my pain take my energy I decided I will paint how I feel. There was no plan. The first day I splashed colour on the canvas and ripped through it with the knife. No idea what would come next. Then the next day I looked at some paintings from Georgia O'Keefe and I was inspired by her beautiful flowers. I think this is where my healing started. Still I am very sad and hurt, but it makes me proud that I was able to turn the negative forces into something good for me.

So here you can all look in my heart :-)

Jazzy, my friend, your work never fails to make me go, "Ahhhhhhhhh.........." I think I'll be seeing you in an art gallery some time soon.

I've painted since I was a child and now that I think about it, up until a few years ago, the times I was most prolific were times of great emotional upheaval. I've been an art collector for decades (all abstracts, don't you know!) and now that I think about that, I realize the pieces I've collected were also pieces that spoke to me of emotional upheaval--whether great sadness or joy. Either emotional upheaval or great conviction about something. My latest purchase was one of Friedbert Renbaum's urban trees paintings for my bedroom.( His originals sell for about $3,000, but his work is readily available as inexpensive posters. http://www.amazon.com/Friedbert-Renbaum-Parchment-Trees-Poster/dp/B... ) That series superimposes quite realistic trees over a background of abstract city building walls. Buying that painting reflected my intense environmentalism. If a tree can grow in Brooklyn (literary reference, not my actual location or Renbaum's), there's hope, but we have to make sure the trees keep growing. As I've lived with those trees, a strange thing happened.  Every time I walk into my bedroom, I am immediately calmed because Renbaum's painting makes me feel as if I've brought summer and hope inside--no matter what the season. So, yes, painting comes from the soul indeed--whether its our own or our choice of someone else's.

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2020   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service