Does abstract art come from some deep place in your soul or is it just a learned technique?

Views: 328

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Bill, I love this question. For me it comes from some place very deep within my soul.....I love the process and I love the surprised feeling I have when I have finished a piece. I have often said that it is as if i don't exsist, i am the observer, the I of me is painting. If that makes any sense!!

I think there are two approaches.

Abstract art as decoration, I saw this in online shops. It is more about if the colours match the furniture and the effects, this is why people sell and buy it. You can learn the techniques and do pretty impressive things without putting yourself in it.

And abstract as expression of the subconcious, which I find much more exciting and what I am aiming for. You still use technique for it, but the focus is different.

I like learning new techniques, because it extends my abilities and it is fun :-). I agree, the spontaneity is the best about it and not knowing the result.

I think it comes from the soul,  I never know where it will go.  Sometimes I start with an idea in mind, but usually I end up with a totally different piece of work once I start.  I get going and a totally new idea, or feeling, or color will just scream at me!  and off I go!  Yes, i love to look at techniques and study what other people have done, but I can no more make myself do the same thing in the same way than I can walk to the moon.

Sometimes I do something abstract that I don't even "recognize" until it's finished. Know what I mean? It's like "Why did I do that?" and when it's finished, you go, "Oh, yes, there's so and so or so and so." Aha moment!

Yes. Many times I start without knowing what I am going to do or only a rough idea and I am surprised myself about the result. I also discovered a very interesting approach for me. Which is to draw a sketch from a photo of a person (or myself) first and then to draw again blind on the canvas just looking at the sketch. I let my subconciousness take over there.

But not everything has to be so deep. And I see in online stores that people want abstract art which matches their living rooms, they want it for decoration. This is ok too and artists have to live also. But I am not sure if I would really call this art. Well, I don't want to make money with my paintings, I just want to do what I love doing and don't know if anyone would call this art :-).

Now, see, Jazzy, you of all people should make money with your abstract paintings. You have a very clear "voice" and obvious talent. People should want to buy your work. Seriously.

I agree that if making money becomes the object of one's painting, that's not a good direction. But I also think if an artist invests her time in painting her view of the world, she should have some expectation that she will be paid. Singers sing....and get paid. Office workers file.........and get paid. Bank tellers count out money.....and get paid. Artists paint..........and get nothing? Each has chosen a line of work. Even if you only paint part-time and for your own enjoyment, as a hobby, you can decide to offer your work for sale. There will be people whose view of the world matches yours and you won't have to compromise your integrity as an artist. 

And really, start showing your stuff, Jazzy. It's good.

You are very encouraging, thank you. I am having trouble to assess my own work. But I become more self-confident, thanks to you and some others, who say the same.

And I came to the same conclusion, simply because the material cost so much and it would be nice to get some money back :-).

So... Starting April there is a group of artist from all levels who gather Sundays on the river, they call it "Montmartre on the River". The people lay out their pictures and paint or draw there on the spot. I think that is a nice thing to do and decided to participate. Then I will see what feedback I get or maybe even sell something. And if not, it will be great fun anyway and meeting new people, so I can't lose. I also signed up for a competition initiated by a big health insurance, they want flower pictures which they distribute to Hospitals. So slowly I get out of my shell ;-).

Right now I don't have that many pictures I would really want to show off, but I am working on it.

i am very new to this world...i am 58 and never painted in my life ever ( liked to do henna sometimes ) and all of a sudden i just started drawing designs and coloring on greeting cards last july and then painting took off (nov /11)  I don't know where my work come from but usually it has mind of its own and when its finished i am usually suprised at myself that how did i do it? I have never known such deep passion in my life. yesterday i painted from 8 am to till about 6pm. i feel so blessed!

I think so, I know when I paint or draw I zone out. Zoning out could be a way of meditation and a way to the subconsious mind. I think we have the ablitiy somewhere in us to do great things and if we find that place we can create great things.

I feel the same way. I never know where it comes from and I paint from 9 till 7. I never picked up a brush befor ein my life before this and its all consuming for me. :)

nilu said:

i am very new to this world...i am 58 and never painted in my life ever ( liked to do henna sometimes ) and all of a sudden i just started drawing designs and coloring on greeting cards last july and then painting took off (nov /11)  I don't know where my work come from but usually it has mind of its own and when its finished i am usually suprised at myself that how did i do it? I have never known such deep passion in my life. yesterday i painted from 8 am to till about 6pm. i feel so blessed!

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2020   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service