I paint with acrylic paints and I am in need of new brushes. My question is what paint brushes should I buy? Brand? any insight will be helpful. Thank you in advance. :)

Views: 264

Replies to This Discussion

Jenifer Nadira Knight said:

Andrea, Dallas gave you GREAT advice.  I have a slightly different approach.  I personally find that acrylics can be very hard on brushes.  No matter how hard I work to keep my acrylic brushes in pristine condition, I find the very tips of the bristles, curl up and lose that fine point, so essential to fine details.

As a result, I purchase those inexpensive (they're not that cheap!) acrylic/oil brushes sold at Michaels.  The brand names are:  Loew-Cornell, American Painter and Robert Simmons, among others.  Michaels has a very good selection of oil/acrylic  brushes that are relatively inexpensive.  I save my expensive brushes (sable, hog's bristle, etc.), for oil painting, which is not as damaging to brushes, as are acrylic paints.  

I have the same approach.  I am rough on brushes so I buy the cheaper ones so if I have a problem I have not lost much. I trim the edges to get longer life out of them. for fine work I do like a good brush that will give a good line. but don't buy any real expensive ones. 

Doris Culverhouse said:

Jenifer Nadira Knight said:

Andrea, Dallas gave you GREAT advice.  I have a slightly different approach.  I personally find that acrylics can be very hard on brushes.  No matter how hard I work to keep my acrylic brushes in pristine condition, I find the very tips of the bristles, curl up and lose that fine point, so essential to fine details.

As a result, I purchase those inexpensive (they're not that cheap!) acrylic/oil brushes sold at Michaels.  The brand names are:  Loew-Cornell, American Painter and Robert Simmons, among others.  Michaels has a very good selection of oil/acrylic  brushes that are relatively inexpensive.  I save my expensive brushes (sable, hog's bristle, etc.), for oil painting, which is not as damaging to brushes, as are acrylic paints.  

Re acrylic brushes -

May I suggest the following.

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/

she hand makes brushes and gives advice on which to use and how to care for them. Her brushes are very reasonably priced and terrific value.

so why not check her out?

Best wishes

Brian

What Brian said, Rosemary and Co. She makes fantastic brushes for a decent price.

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service