Hello, this is going to sound kind of stupid, but I guess that's me anyhow, I need to use a journal at college, it is viewed by the tutors, art journals look interesting and colourful but I'm worried that if I cover it in cut outs and embellishments that it will be viewed as childish, My journal up to now looks very much like an illustrated schoolbook and some drawings and scales but quite cold and impersonal.
Does anyone know what I should and shouldn't b putting in it, I wanna do stuff but am afraid of being viewed wrongly.

Views: 285

Replies to This Discussion

Been naughty and ordered it now, 6 weeks is too long, lol. You have been so helpful with this matter and I thank you immensly, you don't know how many nights I've been awake worried about this.

Thomas LaBadia said:

YES!! it would be a great birthday gift

Thankyou Susanne, Those are beautiful, they have so much depth to them and emotional self, this was obviously a very emotional and stressful time for you and it is wonderful how this journal helped you deal with this.
Thanks so much for letting me see it.

These are great.  I especially like the bottom angel.  Thanks for sharing........Maggie

Susanne Skene said:

Hey Sharon,  I'm going to share with you some of my very childish and primitive renderings of my Enchanted Forest journal.  This is the journal I used when I was trying to cope with my mother's Alzheimers disease.  I literally would escape in this forest at night when anxiety and worry seemed to always be at its peak.  Within minutes I felt like I was in this forest and I would happily slap things down on that page that made me smile.  And usually within a few short hours I was able to go back to bed and get a good nights rest.  Here's a few pages from this little handmade journal - my first attempt at coptic stitching. 

I don't know what Brusho is.  There are a lot of inks out in dozens of colors.  If you go on YouTube and search for making your own ink there are a lot of easy ideas.  I haven't tried them yet, but intend to when I can get enough papers and stuff together.  I am really anxious to get started on this though I need to be backing and going through my stuff.  Some was brought here that should have went on the curb for trash.  I can see it but can't get to it yet.  It is just a jumbled mess especially in one room, and most of what I need is in there somewhere.  My most said word of the year I am sure.  :-)

Sharon Nelson said:

Good ideas Margret, I'm a colour loving person, I was trying out a bit of Brusho last night, that would be cool with a stencil. I'd not thought of spraying ink, must try that too. Thanks

Also, you would need some of those little spritz bottles to mix your own ink  Could get pricy if you like a lot of colors.  Someone said they ordered theirs (the spritz bottles) from Oriental Trading Company on line reasonable.......Maggie

Margaret Hamm (Maggie) said:

I don't know what Brusho is.  There are a lot of inks out in dozens of colors.  If you go on YouTube and search for making your own ink there are a lot of easy ideas.  I haven't tried them yet, but intend to when I can get enough papers and stuff together.  I am really anxious to get started on this though I need to be backing and going through my stuff.  Some was brought here that should have went on the curb for trash.  I can see it but can't get to it yet.  It is just a jumbled mess especially in one room, and most of what I need is in there somewhere.  My most said word of the year I am sure.  :-)

Sharon Nelson said:

Good ideas Margret, I'm a colour loving person, I was trying out a bit of Brusho last night, that would be cool with a stencil. I'd not thought of spraying ink, must try that too. Thanks

OH! I love these!  I have an enchanted castle that I escape to within...it started out as a forest, then I 'built' a moat around a castle and have all manner of places there I 'escape' to - I love the idea of putting it out there in a journal!  I have recently purchased three old atlases - two are hard cover.   One is my twin flame and I's journey - our 'life' journal.  Another is my 'art of life' journey journal - it too is an old atlas, but is prints of ancient maps from all over the world...I keep my spirit animal drawings, ATCs, twinchies, inchies, and the spiritual journey that brought me back to art.  There's a child's book in the charity shop I go to that is the 12 princesses - really funky drawings, bright colours, huge child's format - I may alter that for my 'enchanted castle' book!  It's only $1.50 and that paper you don't have to glue together to stiffen.  Thank you for the inspiraton Susanne!  This is such an addictive 'craft'.  If anyone is looking for anything specifically British - or that can be found here (like old books - old poetry, plays, ancient maps, old encyclopedias, etc) that I often find for really cheap I can go on a hunt with your budget in mind, and send them to you guys after we swap postage costs, cost of item, etc - OR we could swap items of the same value from where you are!  There are MANY things that are readily available there, that is more cost effective for me to have someone send than to buy here lol.  I can also find lace and doilies here they are in abundance!  "London" themed items - union jack stuff, red telephone box stuff - ie post cards, cards, coasters (make great tags for journals or mini  journal covers for purse sized travel journal) - all kinds of stuff like that.  

Susanne Skene said:

Hey Sharon,  I'm going to share with you some of my very childish and primitive renderings of my Enchanted Forest journal.  This is the journal I used when I was trying to cope with my mother's Alzheimers disease.  I literally would escape in this forest at night when anxiety and worry seemed to always be at its peak.  Within minutes I felt like I was in this forest and I would happily slap things down on that page that made me smile.  And usually within a few short hours I was able to go back to bed and get a good nights rest.  Here's a few pages from this little handmade journal - my first attempt at coptic stitching. 

Walmart has little spray bottles with the travel size stuff in the personal care department.  I have used them, cheap and lots of fun.

Also, you would need some of those little spritz bottles to mix your own ink  Could get pricy if you like a lot of colors.  Someone said they ordered theirs (the spritz bottles) from Oriental Trading Company on line reasonable.......Maggie

Sharon Nelson said:

Those Walmart spray bottles might work for some of the things you want to do, but the ones they use the most that I see is these little misters.  Both could be used for different affects I would think.....Maggie

The great thing about art is there is no right way or wrong way to do things. Your art is an extension of who you are. Do what makes you happy and you can't go wrong. 

Thanks for that ladies

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service