**CLOSED** - Sugar Skull Necklaces & Pins - Deadline for mailing out Sunday, February 10th!

Hello Everyone!

I believe the best way to bring in the new year is with a promise to yourself to continue learning new skills. This keeps us sharp and young at heart if not in age! The last atc swap of the Mexico/South America theme had me admiring sugar skulls. I don’t normally like skulls either, but sugar skulls are just sweet and I like the whole idea of why people make them in different countries. So let’s start 2013 with a new challenge and see how it goes!

For this swap I want you to make either ONE sugar skull art pin or ONE sugar skull necklace. Hardware for either the necklaces or pins can be found, usually in small packages, for a very reasonable price at Dollar Stores. Another suggestion would be to alter a pin you already have or take the hardware from a necklace you don’t wear anymore. Check out the different polymer clay packages at your local craft stores and may I suggest that you get the kind that you bake in the oven as opposed to the air dry clay. The air dry clay sometimes will curl up at the edges or warp where I have never had that problem with the oven bake clay. Please feel free to look on the net for a flour dough recipe for crafts if you would prefer to use something you already have on hand.

I will close the sign up for this swap on January 7th, 2013 and your sugar skull should be postmarked no later than February 10, 2013.  I will post who your swap partner is on, January 7th There will be no rules as far as how small/large you want to make your sugar skull but, just keep in mind that if it is rather large and bulky you will have to pay a considerable amount of money to ship it should you get an international partner.

Please sign up in the reply box and include your mailing address exactly how it should be written on the envelope.

Please have a peek at the following tutorials to help you get started on your new challenge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0FnorUOyec - how to make a polymer clay sugar skull

http://www.crafttestdummies.com/craft-projects-2/how-to-glow-in-the...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBHiQ6MBHW0 - finished handmade sugar skull necklaces

Okay here are your swap partners!  Looks a little wonky the way I've done it so just in case it's not clear to someone, let me give you an example of how one would find their swap partner.  Your partner is beside your name in blue lettering.  For example:  Marcia Campbell will send her sugar skull to Anton Abela and Anton Abela will send his sugar skull to Debbie Rippie.  Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you!

Special Notice:  This swap had to close two days earlier than the original posted closing date.  So should anyone else sign up after this Closing and BEFORE January 10th I will try and find you partners or will ask the group if someone would make extra skulls so that you can join us :-)

Please send all parcels that will be delivered outside your own country by AIR MAIL only.  If you have to declare the contents please declare it as a "homemade ornament," with NO COMMERCIAL VALUE.  This is to insure that your partner is not stuck with taxes or duty charges.  Thank you.

Have fun making your skulls and please use this discussion thread as a GALLERY to both post your sugar skulls and to thank your partners once you receive your tiny treasure in the mail!

1. Marcia Campbell         Anton Abela
  2. Susanne Skene           Anne Gurke
  3. Victoria El Ghali            Jen Osslow
  4. Debbie Rippie               Amanda Webster
  5. Trey McGill                     Karen Thomas
  6. Gloria Hamilton              Christine Sharbrough
  7. Christine Sharbrough   Helen Lindton
  8. Maureen Craddock         Michael Ann Hebert
  9. Jen Osslow                        Shelley Paclik
  10. Helen Lindton                    Trey McGill
  11. Anton Abela                         Debbie Rippie
  12. Cathy Bartos                        Victoria El Ghali
  13. Darlene Businelle                Gloria Hamilton 
  14. Michal Ann Hebert               Marcia Campbell
  15. Ann Gurke                              Cathy Bartos
  16. Amanda Webster                   Maureen Craddock
  17. Karen Thomas                        Darlene Businelle
  18. Shelley Paclik                          Susanne Skene

Views: 2103

Replies to This Discussion

Signing up!  Thanks for the interesting idea and challenge.  :-)

Marcia Campbell

140 Bridge St

Branchville, SC 29432

USA

Sign me up! This is going to be so much fun.

Victoria El Ghali

101 Begonia Ct.

Melrose Fl. 32666

USA

Ok, I went and bought clay last night so I guess I am going to give this a try.

Debbie Rippie
301 S. Poplar
South Hutchinson, KS 67505

USA

I'm in!!!!

Trey McGill

3316 Mayfair Raod

Gwynn Oak, MD 21207 USA

Count me in please

Gloria Hamilton

1 Fernbrae Gardens

Kilfennan

Waterside

Londonderry

N. Ireland

BT47 5XS

U.K.

I would also like to participate.  

Christine Sharbrough

67 Blodget St., #3

Manchester, NH  03104

USA

I'm in,  Maureen Craddock

363 N. Wyoming ave.

N.Massapequa, N.Y. 11758

USA

I think I will give this one a try! looks like fun.

sign me up please.

Thanks
Jen

*Private Mailing Address*

hi

Hi Susanne,

Sign me up for this as well, I have an esky full of polymer and paper clay that I haven't used since before i had my kids and Fin is about to turn 9, a good excuse to see what is still usable.

Helen Lindton

415 Anderson Hill Road

Woodleigh

Victoria

Australia 3945

Can I please join in as well... I would be ideal to have some fun with these sugar skulls :)

Anton Abela

4 Censu Bugeja Street,

Hamrun HMR 1050

MALTA

Hi susanne, paper clay is made of paper pulp and is air dried, you can carve  and sand it . I find it easier to use than polymer but it is more limited because it doesn't come in colours. I use it for doll making and there are some great examples on this website www.paperclay.com  , Helen

Susanne Skene said:

Hi Helen:  I hope your clay has remained in pliable condition after all these years.  I just checked my polymer clay the other day and it is all as good as new although it has been sitting around for three years.  I've never worked with paper clay.  How does it differ from polymer clay?

Yes, sounds fun!
Cathy Bartos
2497 S. U.S. Hwy 27
Liberty, IN. 47353 USA

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service