What is the difference in gouche, watercolors, and acrylics?

Views: 112

Replies to This Discussion

i know that the difference between watercolor and acrylic is that watercolor is not very bright colors they are kind of light/weak tones of the color. Acrylic is stronger and more vibrant. i personally like acrylic better because i like the strong colors. but i dont know about gouche.
Thanks Lisa. I am finding acrylic very hard to work with.

Lisa Hensley said:
i know that the difference between watercolor and acrylic is that watercolor is not very bright colors they are kind of light/weak tones of the color. Acrylic is stronger and more vibrant. i personally like acrylic better because i like the strong colors. but i dont know about gouche.

gouache and watercolor are similar, both use gum arabic as a binder. gouache has a chalky ingredient to make it more opaque than watercolor. watercolor is very transparent and you can't paint light colors over dark very easily. Because gouache is opaque, you can... and use it over watercolors.

Acrylic is a different animal, and has a polymer binder, which is basically a form of plastic. because of the plastic base and the strong colors of acrylic, it is not practical to mix the two. Acrylics strong colors will dominate.

However, you can get watercolor effects with acrylic. there are some transparent colors so you can do washes. The big difference is that once acrylic dries, you can't lift the paint... very different from watercolor. that sounds scary, but it is very easy to paint over. that is not always true with watercolor (again that is where gouache is useful).

Acrylic is one of the most versatile paints... you can get a watercolor look, an oil look... or a uniquely acrylic look.

So to answer your question in a nutshell, watercolor and gouache can be used together, but it is not very practical to use those two with acrylic.

Hope this helps! :o)

Michael

Good info Michael.

Thank you Michael. I think I am going to limit acrylic use to my craft work. It's great in that area. For my paintings I have come to love watercolors and experimenting with textures in my watercolors with gouache. Also trying additives for different effects. My mind won't stand still. Got too much going on up there. Thank you for being here for me...

Michael Beckett said:

gouache and watercolor are similar, both use gum arabic as a binder. gouache has a chalky ingredient to make it more opaque than watercolor. watercolor is very transparent and you can't paint light colors over dark very easily. Because gouache is opaque, you can... and use it over watercolors.

Acrylic is a different animal, and has a polymer binder, which is basically a form of plastic. because of the plastic base and the strong colors of acrylic, it is not practical to mix the two. Acrylics strong colors will dominate.

However, you can get watercolor effects with acrylic. there are some transparent colors so you can do washes. The big difference is that once acrylic dries, you can't lift the paint... very different from watercolor. that sounds scary, but it is very easy to paint over. that is not always true with watercolor (again that is where gouache is useful).

Acrylic is one of the most versatile paints... you can get a watercolor look, an oil look... or a uniquely acrylic look.

So to answer your question in a nutshell, watercolor and gouache can be used together, but it is not very practical to use those two with acrylic.

Hope this helps! :o)

Michael

you have to go with what is in your comfort zone... glad to be of service!  ;o)

Thanks Michael. Your advise is always welcome.

Michael Beckett said:

you have to go with what is in your comfort zone... glad to be of service!  ;o)

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2018   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service