Feeling stressed and nothing you do is good enough, try this technique and see what happens

This is a technique I've developed just to get my mind loose and the creative juices flowing. It works for me and you can adapt it to what works for you.

First pick up up a crayon or pastel, its important that the medium is a messy one. You need to loosen your mind so be prepared to make a mess. Close your eyes and make a sweeping motion over the page quite large, don't worry if you go outside of the page. Now open your eyes and look at what you've made don't be too critical, just be aware that you put crayon to paper and you have produced something.

The next part is all about getting to know your imaginative self. When we let our imagination free, even when we are drawing something real, the thoughts flow so much easier and your hands just seem to do what they are told.

Imagine yourself as one of the 4 elements, earth, water, air and fire. For example I might be extremely frustrated and imagine myself as a raging waterfall, crashing to the ground. For me this means choosing a lot of blues and greens and having some white bubbles at the bottom of the page. My motions with the crayons are ruff and with long sweeps, and pressing so hard that some of the crayon crumbles, but that's a good thing it adds to the texture and reflects how I'm feeling and is quite satisfying too.

When I did this exercise with a class, one of my students imagined herself as a calm lake at night time, on which 2 lovers were sailing gently underneath a shining moon. How romantic!

You just go with what feels right for you and see where the feeling takes you. This exercise really works for me and I hope it helps those of you who feel stuck and blocked. We all get like that sometimes so don't worry about it too much, just keep making art.

Views: 216

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you! This is something I will definitely try.

Great suggestion,Calsanne !!! I'm digging out my crayons right now.!!

Will certainly give this a go (said the 45 year old who was ecstatic when a Christmas present last year revealed a brand new box of Crayola 64!)

;)

Great idea!  I have done the same once in a while - I will close my eyes and draw all over the paper - scribble actually - and then when I open my eyes I try to make something out of the shape.  Sometimes a monster, sometimes a flower,  Your technique is really what I need to loosen up and let go.  I just bought some pastels to try.  The warnings scared me a little as they said the dust could hurt you.  I have lung problems and I don't want to make them worse but the colors in the pastels are beautiful!!  :)  Thanks for sharing!!

I've tried this before, but not for a while.  It is a good idea and helps to get moving.  I like creating Mandalas.  They are a good size and have just enough boundary to keep me focused.  Just staring at a blank piece of paper is frustrating.

I don't have an art room or much of any supplies, but I've made two altered books and want to make my own art journals out of recycled things.  I want to make collages too, much out of recycle-able materials. I don't know what to do with my 'creations', so I may put them into journals.  One of my friends says she's still waiting for some of my 'work'.  I don't think of my stuff is any good, so I haven't given anything away.  I like markers and colored pencils.  I've tried a little acrylic paint, but haven't gotten up the nerve to just go for it.  I like abstract, doesn't seem like I could make a mistake...

I'm glad I found this site.  It has a lot of helpful hints and ideas.  I haven't the nerve to show any work yet.  And so far, by the time I come up with a piece from the weekly challenge, the challenge is over!  lol

Patty

I feel I'm getting a little better though.  I have too many things I want to try, so I've go to stay focused.  That would be the ADD coming through!  lol

Hi  Patty!  When I was a young single mom with 3 kids - I knew it would be really good to try and find something to do when the kids were awayl.  I couldn't afford much of anything.  So once every two weeks I would buy one acrylic tube of paint.  I'd paint with what I had and thought it was awesome.   40+ years later and I have a accumulated a ton of stuff.   Lots of stuff people gave me and lots of stuff from garage sales.  i don't know really how I got so much stuff but in that room you would see that I am a secret hoarder.  lol  I can't find anything but I have a lot of fun in there.  My grandgirls and I think we can make anything with all the junk I have. ;)  Put your art on your wall - even if it's in the bathroom.  I have 3 pictures I really like and Have them on the walls.  It took forever to get to that place but it made me feel like a real artist.  Good luck to you!!

Patty meiners said:

I've tried this before, but not for a while.  It is a good idea and helps to get moving.  I like creating Mandalas.  They are a good size and have just enough boundary to keep me focused.  Just staring at a blank piece of paper is frustrating.

I don't have an art room or much of any supplies, but I've made two altered books and want to make my own art journals out of recycled things.  I want to make collages too, much out of recycle-able materials. I don't know what to do with my 'creations', so I may put them into journals.  One of my friends says she's still waiting for some of my 'work'.  I don't think of my stuff is any good, so I haven't given anything away.  I like markers and colored pencils.  I've tried a little acrylic paint, but haven't gotten up the nerve to just go for it.  I like abstract, doesn't seem like I could make a mistake...

I'm glad I found this site.  It has a lot of helpful hints and ideas.  I haven't the nerve to show any work yet.  And so far, by the time I come up with a piece from the weekly challenge, the challenge is over!  lol

Patty

I feel I'm getting a little better though.  I have too many things I want to try, so I've go to stay focused.  That would be the ADD coming through!  lol

Thanks Lora.  I put up some of my favorite pictures.  I like to get supplies at thrift stores.  I haven't gone yard sale-ing yet, but you can find some good stuff. 

I have a lot of just 'stuff' too and want to make collage's; beads, ribbon, pressed flowers... I've got to get myself focused.

It's cool though, when something comes out unexpectedly pretty.  :)

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service