Hey there , 

I have been drawing since , well a lot ..but only in pencils , mostly  mechanical pencils & I've  been thinking about trying something new , maybe paints ?  , but it's so confusing for a beginner in   " painting
to decide , which medium I should work with first ..

There's plenty of paints out there, different types and different media 

What do you think might be fun and worthy to try ? 
Acrylics ? Oils ? Pastels ?..etc ? 

I want something that can last but still fun to work with for a beginner . 

Thank you ! 

Views: 122

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Reham,

I do most of my art work in pencil (Colored and Mechanical) and am having the same problem. Friends have been telling me to use acrylic first as it is easier but other than that, I have no thoughts. Tell me what you find out.

Hi  Roberta, 

Since you are familiar with the lines and shading that pencils provide you may want to step easily into the a new medium without spending a lot of money on something you may not even enjoy the outcome of… I would suggest, as the next step to use water color pencils,  they come in all different price ranges (cost is an issue with me)  and they also come in all grades of quality… You can sketch the same sort of ideas you have been doing and than by using a thicker paper (talk to someone about water color paper- they can be quite confusing- or just google to see the type of tooth of paper you may want as well as the thickness depending not the amount of water you may want to try).  Then get a couple of GOOD brushes to be able to control your color washing and blending.  That would give you step into painting and still allow you to build on the skills that you've established with your drawing hands.  There are also a  lot of videos on YouTube on water color painting… it's a difficult technique to learn but to gradually move in from the pencils would make it much easier to learn the techniques of color building and blotting.  Let us see some of your work and good luck.  This is just a suggestion because it would be a gentler transition into a new (and beautiful and challenging) medium.  And you're right, there are so many things to choose from. If you are really interested  in a lot of different mediums, there are usually community class, depending on where you live.  I live in a pretty large college rich city, so I can take some extension course and course through the city's parks and recreations  department. This can all be researched online.  
Again, Good Luck. 
roberta Wilson said:

Hey Reham,

I do most of my art work in pencil (Colored and Mechanical) and am having the same problem. Friends have been telling me to use acrylic first as it is easier but other than that, I have no thoughts. Tell me what you find out.

Me too , they all suggest me acrylics or Gouache colours , Gouache is a form of water colours also but thicker , Lynn the pencils are a nice suggestion ! I've been actually working with those but I want to step-up to something more ..sophisticated ? . 

Acrylics last longer I think , I want something that lasts , I think water colours fade with time , I guess  I'm going to try them out myself first and compare then , like buy three main colours of each and try to work with them ? 


 Instead of starting with another particular medium, it might be an easier choice if you google up a lengthy list of artists(or a particular medium) and just eyeball a whole bunch of pictures until you come upon something that appeals to you, either because of the use of color or technique or for whatever reason. That is how I came to own PanPastels because I saw these barns by Wolf Kahn and I KNEW I had to have this kind of color-and I tend toward minimalism. I had no idea that I would love pastels-Anyway-HAPPY HUNTING!!I

http://startstudioarts.si.edu/2012/02/all-about-pastels-wolf-kahns-...

jmho--Kathy S :>D

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the information. I think I will try some of your suggestions and see how they go. Last year my husband gave me a wonderful art package with everything you could ever need to create art. I look at some of it with fear and others with excitement. I will post things when I start to move forward.

Lynn Wilkinson said:

Hi  Roberta, 

Since you are familiar with the lines and shading that pencils provide you may want to step easily into the a new medium without spending a lot of money on something you may not even enjoy the outcome of… I would suggest, as the next step to use water color pencils,  they come in all different price ranges (cost is an issue with me)  and they also come in all grades of quality… You can sketch the same sort of ideas you have been doing and than by using a thicker paper (talk to someone about water color paper- they can be quite confusing- or just google to see the type of tooth of paper you may want as well as the thickness depending not the amount of water you may want to try).  Then get a couple of GOOD brushes to be able to control your color washing and blending.  That would give you step into painting and still allow you to build on the skills that you've established with your drawing hands.  There are also a  lot of videos on YouTube on water color painting… it's a difficult technique to learn but to gradually move in from the pencils would make it much easier to learn the techniques of color building and blotting.  Let us see some of your work and good luck.  This is just a suggestion because it would be a gentler transition into a new (and beautiful and challenging) medium.  And you're right, there are so many things to choose from. If you are really interested  in a lot of different mediums, there are usually community class, depending on where you live.  I live in a pretty large college rich city, so I can take some extension course and course through the city's parks and recreations  department. This can all be researched online.  
Again, Good Luck. 
roberta Wilson said:

Hey Reham,

I do most of my art work in pencil (Colored and Mechanical) and am having the same problem. Friends have been telling me to use acrylic first as it is easier but other than that, I have no thoughts. Tell me what you find out.

Hi Lynn,

As you have the different media just have fun trying them out. You seem to know the basis of 'art practice' so stop worrying about permanence and what other people think and enjoy making art.
I am sure you will turn out beautiful work. Keep you first attempts and refer back to them after you have played with the different media.

Just enjoy the opportunity to have fun.

Wow ! I have never thought pastels can look this beautiful ! 
Ugh ! such a vast lovely world , I guess , yeah , hunting and trying everything out to finally decide is the only practical way rather than trying to make a decision based on words ,  I guess I'll give every media that its work appeal to me a try & see what works ! Have fun you all & thanks for your replies  :)

hello,

i'm the same, but different too! i like pastels and watercolour, charcoal, pencil, pen and ink, markers, all of it together! i think i might be a mixed media sort of girl. i don't know. i really like pastels. i really like watercolour. but not on its own. line wash is good. and i like using pen and ink, markers too! and i love graphite sketching, drawing, charcoal! aaaaarrrggghh. what to use and do next. ive been alternating and sometimes combining. i want my pictures to be minimalist and simple and net, but i want to use everything at once and i get a mess! what to do?

answer: i know, i'll just choose ONE thing at a time, for each piece; then look at them and see what i like. what do you think?

Me too ! 
I did some combination of oil pastels and ink the other day in my notebook just to see how they work together, I liked some & didn't the other ..I guess when you have that idea that you want to draw but will risk combining different types of paints and media together it's better to always try it first in a sketch not in your already finished drawing , just to get the feel of it , know if you like it that way or not , & after combining again and again , you'll sure favor one result over the other , but never let your great ideas turn into a mess because of painting gone wrong ..
For me  , I draw for four hours as an average , then paint ,if  I were to paint , - more into pencil work right now - so to imagine my drawing to be ruined after that because of painting ..ugh ..that's not good =D 


michele josiane martin said:

hello,

i'm the same, but different too! i like pastels and watercolour, charcoal, pencil, pen and ink, markers, all of it together! i think i might be a mixed media sort of girl. i don't know. i really like pastels. i really like watercolour. but not on its own. line wash is good. and i like using pen and ink, markers too! and i love graphite sketching, drawing, charcoal! aaaaarrrggghh. what to use and do next. ive been alternating and sometimes combining. i want my pictures to be minimalist and simple and net, but i want to use everything at once and i get a mess! what to do?

answer: i know, i'll just choose ONE thing at a time, for each piece; then look at them and see what i like. what do you think?

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

 

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

 

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service