Hi friends,

This is one of my favourite paintings to work on from start to finish 'Rushing In'.

Little did I realise how popular this would become on the internet when I first painted this in 2010, so I thought it would be a good idea to paint this scene from start to finish for a fourth time and explain in detail what was going through my thoughts as I worked on it and what colors I used and more. 

Hope this is useful and helps explain just how nutty I am about oceans ha ha

Stage one - Background, distant rocks and sea and sky The first task is to paint your sea line, or the line that divides the sea from the sky. I usually go three quarters of the way up from the bottom of the canvas. Place this halfway and it looks odd. 

Then begin mixing your paint. I chose sky blue acrylic and deep turquoise for the base ocean color. There are many different hues of these colors but I enjoy that rich teal or turquoise appearance to the sea. The further your eye moves away from the foreground, the more blue you want your sea to appear (blue - distance). Sorry about the lopsided horizon line, it was just my crummy camera. Next shot will be nice and straight. :)

The clouds are formed easily by taking a medium soft brush and painting the top half of the cloud in pure white paint, this top edge has to be crisp and clean. Then take a large brush or fan brush and pull the color downward diagonally so that it fades into the background. Finish off with a large brush to blend the bottom half out.

The rocks in Rushing in are essential black. This gives the idea of very bright sunlight, which is what you want for this scene. Add some shape to them with a dark gray, just little lines and bold strokes and dots will eventually give a 3d appearance to them.

The sea foam is formed using very clear white paint and all I did to create the appearance of waves here is to draw very thin white lines with the brush right the way across the canvas left to right. Using the same white, drag little lines up the rocks here and there too, to give the appearance of spray and splashing upwards. As the eye moves into the distant horizon in the painting, just add a little more water to your paint but still create those little lines. Let nature take it course and fade the paint out naturally..

Well thats all for the moment folks, but I will upload the next part very soon. Happy creating

Alan :)

Views: 668

Replies to This Discussion

I love the way you created the raging foam of the water hitting the rocks.

Thanks Jim, I use several techniques for this. One is what I call 'Splodging' where I build up layers of white and gray and pale blue and on top of that more white by dabbing and shaping the water with a rounded large paintbrush. The other is for the spray itself, where I use a toothbrush and crisp white paint and literally flick the paint on finely and heavy too. 

This latter technique is how you paint stars in space or the night sky;)

Alan 

Jim said:

I love the way you created the raging foam of the water hitting the rocks.

All thats left to do now on this is to add the (toothbrush) white sea spray, and add more definition to the rocks below right.

Allan, Thanks so much for sharing this. I find it very helpful and inspirational. I have a question about your actual colors you are using. You say sky blue acrylic and deep turquoise? Is that cerulean or ultramarine blue? Can you give a little info on your turquoise mix?

THanks, Amelia

Hi Amelia, thanks for dropping by dear friend and I will share the colors I used to create the layers within this painting. They are the same colours I use every time in varied amounts (Mixing) to create all my other oceans too. I use 'Heavy Body' thick paints from tubes and dilute these whenever necessary.

For the deep green blue base which really brings the wave to life, your starting colour, I used Windsor & Newton (or similar) 'Deep Turquoise'. Thats the actual name of it Amelia, I didnt see a number on the tube but it is a heavy green less blue hue and is perfect for working lighter shades or hues or blue and turquoise upon.

The next layers are made up of Daler Rowney (or similar) Number 153 - Cobalt Turquoise Hue. This is also heavy body pure pigment. Layer this on thickly to start6 and gradually dilute with a little more water as you approach the top or crest of the wave.

Then take 'Sky Blue' or even Cerulean and blend this into the above colour, gradually lightening this but not losing the hint of green to the the top or crest of thge wave. Near the top of the wave you gradually also want to add more and more Titanium white until blended out completely.

These three colours are as close to the colours that you see in nature if blended properly, especially the deep turquoise base which, when you have added blue and turquoise and white on top gives the wave a feeling of realism. I never use any other colours.

Hope that helps Amelia:)

Alan

Amelia Stephenson said:

Allan, Thanks so much for sharing this. I find it very helpful and inspirational. I have a question about your actual colors you are using. You say sky blue acrylic and deep turquoise? Is that cerulean or ultramarine blue? Can you give a little info on your turquoise mix?

THanks, Amelia

HI Alan, Thanks so so much for those clarifications. I find it interesting that you are not mixing the colors, but using straight out of the tube. Great! I had assumed you were mixing. I'll go to the supply store tomorrow and look around.

Hi again, Alan. So I went to a "Utrecht' store and found a smallish tube )2oz?) of  Cobalt Turquoise Hue. The sample hue beautiful on the tube was exactly your painting... but Oh My-  it was USD$12.98! I just couldn't bring myself to pay up this time. I will just have to figure out how to mix these colors myself with my lowly basics for now. Ha. Perhaps I will reward myself with your exact colours sometime soon. -- A

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service