Oils on 20 x 20 inch canvas.

What lifts a painting and in this case a portrait out of the many. I see a lot of paintings with great technique and a good likeness, but am not moved by the experience of looking. It raises the question of what we expect from Art in any case. The generally given answer is sensation. For some it is entertainment and other people will want something deeper. I would like to give something deeper. There seems to be some disagreement about this. The huge Velasquez  painting Las Menias is said by some to be the greatest painting of all time.  I just don't know. Anyway here's back to my own humble efforts. This portrait seems to be good enough techniques wise, but somehow misses the mark.

Views: 159

Replies to This Discussion

Great work - very old masters.  You have wonderful technique but, more than that, I like your choice of subject and what you convey through the eyes.

RSS

Guidelines

New to the site? Check out our Guide to Getting Started.

Please take a moment to read our Member Guidelines. Thanks!

Need help?

If you need assistance with this site, please visit the Site Help forum where the moderators and/or other members will assist you.

About

The Art Colony is a fun online art community for artists of all abilities working in painting, drawing, mixed media, sculpture and handicrafts! Join us and share your art, ask questions, receive tips, and make new friends!

It is 100% FREE to join the Art Colony and always will be!

Cheekyjane

Artist and Owner of The Art Colony                      

The Art Colony is co-run by a fabulous team of enthusiastic moderators:

Pat

Stacy

Nick

Members

© 2019   Created by Jane Miles. All Rights Reserved.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service