Rocks have been my favorite art supplies ever since I can remember for some really simple reasons:
1) Rocks are free
2) Rocks are everywhere/easy to find
3) Rocks are very solid/hard to break
4) Rocks have a nice weight which makes them perfect for pockets or paper weights
5) Rocks will last for a very long time
6) It is easy to draw and paint on rocks
7) Anyone can make art with rocks
8) It's fun to imagine where a rock has been
9) It's hard to ruin a rock
10) You don't feel pressured to make "GREAT ART" on a rock like you can if you're staring at a blank canvas
So there you have it. The rock featured in this post was decorated with permanent paint markers and sparkle modpodge. It has been living outside in a garden for over eight years. Every time I look at it I remember the kids art camp I was running when I made it and how much fun I had.
I forgot to add that drawing and painting on rocks helps you remember how you felt when you were a kid. This is probably one of the best reasons to make art with rocks.
See what happens for you. Find some rocks you like. Try using them as a canvas for your art. If the rock could tell you something, what would it share? How could you describe this in line and color?